The challenge is to develop technologies to deal with the upcycling of plastics for food and drinks packaging.
Proposals will address as many as possible of the following aspects:
- Expand the potential of current technologies and materials for the manufacturing and design of bio-plastics that are recyclable and/or bio-degradable;
- Exploit known or develop new biotechnologies, based on enzymes or enzyme combinations and microorganisms, for improved recycling or biodegradation of plastics;
- Develop novel standards and certification schemes applicable to packaging materials made from recyclable and biodegradable bio-plastics;
- Include Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH) elements and gender aspects to improve consumer attitude and behaviour with respect to purchasing and recycling food and drink packaging;
- Take a systemic approach and involve cooperation among actors in the supply chain, from producer to final consumer, and from research to policy makers.
Clustering activities to capitalise on synergies with relevant projects selected under this topic and topic CE NMBP 26-2018 is encouraged.
Budget: The Commission considers that proposals requesting a contribution from the EU between EUR 6 and 8 million would allow this specific challenge to be addressed appropriately.
Type of action: Research and Innovation Action.