The aim of this call is to build up a new "European Energy & Climate Modelling Forum" that will care for structure and manage joint model benchmarking and comparison exercises on the EU energy system, climate mitigation and its regional and sectoral components along relevant policy questions.
The forum is expected to:
- Benchmark and compare different assumptions, data sources, scenario building and modelling suites to explore the pathways to long-term climate – energy policies;
- Interpret the results across different societal, economic, and policy perspectives;
- Provide robust evidence supporting the development of near-term and long-term policies for the implementation of the 2030 and 2050 objectives;
- Support the development of modelling capacity in Member States/Associated Countries and create a technical (IT-based) communication channel between the EC and Member States:
- Link with existing global modelling projects;
- Contribute to joint scientific publications from modelling teams;
- Organise regular meetings to share findings and to brainstorm on research questions with policy relevance and directions for the European energy and climate modelling community;
- Contribute to the development of a truly integrated approach by considering the possible feedbacks between the energy system and the environment;
- Organise, store or link the quantitative information produced by modelling exercises in a transparent and accessible manner;
- Interact with a wide range of stakeholders including modelling experts working for Member States/Associated Countries and other entities as well as promoting links with policy makers at all levels.